Over the past couple weeks, I have been getting very anxious. I leave for the trail in about a month. I try to imagine what it will be like to leave. All my bags are packed, I’m ready to go, I’m standing outside my door about to leave, I already miss my wife and family. I am excited, but it is hard to think about.
I also think about all the things that could possibly go wrong and trying to mentally prepare for something that I cant mentally prepare for. I just want to take baby steps, take one day at a time, and set small goals.
To the class of 2014, I’ll see you very soon!!!
I have everything laid out on the living room floor. I have spoken with a few people that have already done the hike and they assure me there is nothing that I should remove from my gear list. My goal was to leave with a pack under 30 lbs. I weighed it today and it comes in at 33 lbs… close to my goal. I will continue to look for ways to cut weight, even if its a gram at a time.
1. Smart Wool socks…. 2 pr. 1 for hiking and 1 for sleeping.
2. fleece zip jacket…. extra warmth on cold days.
3. Marina Wool lightweight long sleeve crew top/long underwear. 1 pr.
4. Cabelas Hiking pants ( until warmer weather ) 1 pr.
5. BCG Synthetic hiking shirts (2) short sleeve…very lite/very quick drying.
6. Marmot Beanie.
7. Recycled fleece gloves.
8. BCG Synthetic hiking shorts…very lite/quick dry. 2 pr.
9. Exfficio synthetic boxer briefs…(2)
10. Plastic Spork.
11. Base Camp gravity water filter.
13. MSR fuel canister.
14. Gatorade bottles for water…(2) 2 liter platypus.
15. Pocket Rocket Camp Stove….. 3 oz.
16. Keens mid tarhgee-2 boots…. my 4th and final brand.
17. The 2014 AT hikers guide….a must have.
18. Galaxy S4 for skype/facetime/journals/camera.
19. Knife, clippers, TP, Bug spray, Duct tape, purell hand sanitizer, toothpaste/brush, bio wash soap, bic
20. Paracord 50 ft…..for food bag etc etc…
21. Leki Trekking poles
22. Osprey 65 Liter
23. Backpack cover for extra weather protection
24. OP dry bags for everything.
25. Trash Compactor Bags…..more dry protection.
26. Ultralite Air Core Pillow
27. Marmot 815 fill 15 degree sleeping bag w/liner
28. Big Agnes Ul1 tent w/footprint for moisture barrier